Random Post 2: Omar
I went to see the opera this past Wednesday at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, and it’s all I can think about now. My friend was performing in the show as the youngest member to ever join the LA Opera, so I was beyond excited to support him. Although I have never been to an opera before, I thought I knew what to expect since I’ve been to plenty of shows, musicals, and choir concerts, but the production, story, and vocals combined was something totally different.
Omar is the story of a man’s physical and spiritual journey, referencing his own autobiography of his experience as an enslaved Muslim. The story starts out in West Africa where Omar is captured and forced aboard a ship set for Charleston. The change of scenery was so powerful- the entire stage transformed from a sunny community to a solo journey where Omar couldn’t understand the language everyone around him was speaking. Throughout his tumultuous journey, Omar is haunted by past memories, often reflecting upon his faith and questioning why this is happening to him.
I found Omar to be such a powerful story and the way it was told through opera could not have been more fitting. In the end, the masters and other slaves recognized Omar’s faith against the odds and turned to him for advice. His master encouraged him to write his story and that’s what became the only known surviving American slavery narrative written in Arabic, his 1831 autobiography. I strongly recommend everyone to see this opera. Regardless of religious beliefs, Omar shows just how powerful it can be to remain true to oneself and to have faith through oppression.

Hi Lucia - so cool that you got to have this experience. The performing arts are such a great way to tell intricate stories such as Omar's, and I often leave performances with the same types of introspection you outline here. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Lucia, it was interesting to read about your experience watching Omar. I have not been to an opera myself nor do I hear much about it compared to other forms of performing art like musical theatre or concerts. In your opinion, how does this compare to other types of performances?
ReplyDelete