Book 2 Post 2
Can unconscious bias be measured? Part two of The Person You Mean To Be: How Good People Fight Bias, by Dolly Chugh, takes us further into how to recognize unconcious biases and how to act against them. One way to measure unconcious bias is through an Implicit Association Test. Developed by Harvard psychologistss, the test asks that you react as quickly as possible to a series a questions that reveal your unconscious associations. The test was very telling, as even the open-minded participants were surprised by their results. For example, around 75% of all participants showed conservative-minded bias by strongly associating women to household activities and men with career/working. I like how Chugh went through extensive research to back up her claims of how even good people struggle with biases.
Another chapter that I found interesting brings up how people can accept that one group is disadvantaged while disregarding the advantages they had. Studies showed that White Americans actually emphasized how difficult their childhood was more after they were reminded of white privilege. Rather than acknowledging their privileges, people end up maintaining the falsehood that they also had to overcome adversity so that their achievements don't appear "unearned" or "undeserved".
I really enjoyed reading this book. I love learning about psychology and have learned a lot about behavorial economics in my free time, so I found it interesting to see similar psychology concepts applied in the context of biases and interacting with different groups of people. One of my big takeaways is that privileged people have the most power to counter these unconscious biases and support minorities. I hope to actively work on my unconcious biases by being more selective about media I consume and continuously educating myself on different groups of people.
Hey Lucia,
ReplyDeleteI'm also passionate about studying human behavior and determining how we make decisions. You brought up some really good points on conscious and unconscious biases being a massive factor in our decision process. It's interesting, as the leading theory of decision-making in economics is rationality; however, it is pretty apparent that we aren't as rational as we would like. Cool stuff!
Great post, Lucia! I'm definitely interested in taking the test myself since I like to think of myself as open-minded, but definitely have room for improvement in terms of improving unconscious biases.
ReplyDeleteHi Lucia, great post. This book seems really interesting and I would love to take the test to recognize my unconcious biases!
ReplyDeleteHi Lucia! This book sounds very interesting as I think many of us do not question our own unconscious biases enough. Glad you got something out of the book and are applying it to your own life. Great job :)
ReplyDeleteUnconscious biases are so interesting - glad your book was able to cover it. One of my GEs was PSYC 100, and I remember a class where we all took the implicit bias test and found out how baked in certain assumptions can be into our worldviews without us even realizing it. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Lucia! I am glad to hear you loved your book! It seems very interesting and I would love to learn more about unconscious bias. Definitely need to read this book next!
ReplyDelete