Book 2 Post 1
My second book is The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias, by Dolly Chugh. I found this book under the Best Books of 2018 for a Meaningful Life and was immediately drawn by the description. We can all think we are good people but many people inadvertently fall short of these ideals. I thought it was interesting how the author took an analytical stance on how to actively change the biases we always hope to avoid but can easily fall into. She uses research to develop strategies to counteract discrimination. I hope to adopt these strategies in my day to day life to counteract the unconcious biases I have.
One of the first concepts discussed in the book is the growth mindset. Chugh explains how people who believe in the growth mindset rebound from mistakes, feel less of the need to be right, and can take responsibilities for wrongdoings. I like how she supported these claims by breaking down the case of documentary filmmaker Perrin Chiles. Chiles chose the subject of autism for his next film with little to no information about it prior. Adopting a growth mindset, Chiles used the opportunity to learn about those different from him and was able to share the realities of autism to millions more. I'm interested to continue reading to learn about the specific strategies to counter biases.
Comments
Post a Comment